25th Celebratory Year of Stock Cars on Ice in the Race for a Cure
Racing Pros Join Forces to Benefit Norris Cotton Cancer Center
January 20, 2009
Moultonborough, NH - On Saturday, January 31 on Berry Pond, the Lakes Region Ice Racing Club will be gearing up to celebrate 25 years of stock car racing on ice to benefit Norris Cotton Cancer Center.
The Friends of Norris Cotton Cancer Center event, also known as the Latchkey Cup, takes place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Donations are appreciated, at a suggested minimum of $15 per carload. All proceeds support cancer research and patient services at the Cancer Center, the only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center in both New Hampshire and Vermont.
Special guest drivers this year include:
- Kirk Alexander, a four-time Modified Racing Series champion
- Jack Bateman, the Modified Racing Series founder and 1995 Claremont Modified Champion
- Peter Jarvis, who was awarded 2007 "Rookie of the Year" by the True Value Modified Racing Series
- Brad Leighton, one of the most successful drivers in the history of the Grand National Division, Camping World Series East, with two top-10 finishes in 2008 and a win in the 2008 American-Canadian Tour
- Luke Royea, the 2003 Outlaw Dirt Late Model Champion and 2005 TVMRS "Rookie of the Year"
- D.J. Shaw, 2008 Pro All Star Series "Rookie of the Year"
Over 60 cars will compete in five classes: stock, modified, 4-cylinder front wheel, 4-cylinder rear wheel, and junior (teens, age 13-15). The final race of the day will be a face-off between the six pros.
Over the past 24 years, the Lakes Region Ice Racing Association has raised almost $200,000 for the Cancer Center, and on this 25th Anniversary they expect to surpass that mark! In addition to cancer research and patient services, Latchkey monies have funded a room for pediatric oncology at the Cancer Center. "We decided to support the Cancer Center because everyone knows someone, or has someone close to them, who has been affected by cancer," said Lakes Region club member Cindy Frye. "This annual event has become the local 'Daytona' of ice racing."
Autograph opportunities, food, and souvenir concessions will be available. For directions and information, call Susan at (603) 653-9073 or (800) 226-8744, or visit the Friends of Norris Cotton Cancer Center website. This event is weather and ice dependent! For event confirmation, please visit the Lakes Region Ice Racing Club website.