Special Care Unit
Listed below are some facts that might be helpful to you:
- 16 nurses work in the HSCU. On average, each nurse has 10 years of experience caring for bone marrow/stem cell transplant patients, and 60% of the staff are certified OCNs.
- The unit has been in existence since 1985, having provided a total of 410 transplants to date.
- Each room within the HSCU is specially filtered (HEPA-filtered) to prevent infection.
- Each room is private, with a Bose sound system, TV, and VCR, as well as a large window with a scenic view.
- There is access to a massage therapist.
- There is also easy access to a library with a computer/Internet access.
The nurses of the HSCU play an integral role within The Bone Marrow and Blood Stem Cell Transplant Program. We work closely with your nurses and your nurse practitioners in the outpatient clinic.