The Cancer Center and Dartmouth-Hitchcock have the only onsite diagnostic coagulation lab within a 100-mile radius of Lebanon, and the only diagnostic coagulation clinic in NH. We conduct hundreds of pediatric and adult new patient workups for congenital thrombosis and bleeding disorders each year, and clinic evaluations are held twice weekly.
Our Blood Bank is the only facility within a 100-mile radius to maintain a full complement of hemophilia products to manage any hemophilia problem or emergency.
Services provided include:
- Comprehensive, multidisciplinary hemophilia care
- Diagnostic evaluation and treatment of abnormal bleeding
- Hemostasis planning for invasive procedures, pregnancy and childbirth
- Personalized thrombophilia screening and thrombosis risk assessment
- Recommendations for thromboprophylaxis and anticoagulant bridging therapy
- Family studies and genetic counseling for inherited disorders of thrombosis and hemostasis
All patients with moderate or severe hemophilia are candidates for home IV factor infusion. Currently 90% of patients meeting the criterion over 5 years of age self-infuse or are infused by a family member.
Other services, in detail:
- 24-hour hemophilia call line staffed by hemophilia nurse clinicians with backup by hematologists
- Factor replacement products
- On-site diagnostic coagulation laboratory providing rapid turnaround for factor assays and other specialized studies, including platelet aggregations
- Patient Registry that facilitates rapid and appropriate emergency treatment
- Qualitative and quantitative assays for diagnosing bleeding and thrombosing disorders
- Risk assessment and risk management in patients with idiopathic and cancer-associated thrombosis
- Management of therapy-resistant thrombosis
- Genetic counseling for bleeding and thrombosing disorders, and testing of susceptible individuals
- Anticoagulant clinic patient management
- Screening for viral exposure associated with clotting factor and for joint morbidity associated with congenital bleeding disorders