Lung / Esophageal / Thoracic Cancer Program
The mission of the Lung / Esophageal / Thoracic Cancer Program is to use a team approach to provide both state-of-the-art and personalized care for patients with lung, esophageal, and other thoracic cancers.
Members of this specialized team include:
- Advanced practice nurses
- Chest radiologists
- Molecular biologists
- Palliative care
- Social worker
- Thoracic cytopathologist
- Thoracic medical oncologists
- Thoracic pathologists
- Thoracic radiation oncologists
- Thoracic surgeons
Dr. David Finley talks about the Comprehensive Thoracic Oncology Program
This team approach means patients receive coordinated and thoughtful care with a personal touch. Patients receive an individualized care plan to diagnose, evaluate for stage, and treat their cancer in a timely fashion. Also, your treatment plans can often be coordinated with physicians and hospitals throughout the New England area, so you can get your care close to home.
The team also pursues new and innovative strategies to advance our field and our care. We aim to reduce lung cancer incidence, improve treatments, and prolong the survival and quality of life of those diagnosed with cancer.
Our program offers:
- Specialized thoracic surgery: Surgery options include video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) and minimally invasive techniques, including minimally-invasive esophagectomy and endobronchial ultrasound techniques. These advanced technologies result in smaller incisions, less pain after surgery, and a quicker return to normal activities.
- State-of-the-art thoracic radiation oncology: Our team offers state-of-the art treatment plans for radiation therapy, including advanced radiosurgery with Trilogy™.
- The largest interventional pulmonology service in northern New England: Our interventional pulmonology services are provided by pulmonologists and a thoracic surgeon. We offer advanced care of tumors within the airway using techniques including laser therapy and stenting.
- Specialized gastroenterology for people with esophageal cancer: We offer the most advanced techniques, including esophageal ultrasound, laser therapy, stenting therapy, endomucosal resection, and radiofrequency ablation.
- New treatments: Our patients have access to the latest clinical trials and new treatments.
- Thoracic surgical pathology services: These services are available for consultation and second-opinion review of neoplastic and non-neoplastic lung disease.
- Thoracic medical oncologist: Specializing in the development of new treatments for thoracic cancers.
- Lung cancer screening: Chest radiologist who specializes in screening and imaging for thoracic malignancies.
- Help quitting smoking: Our smoking cessation program is open to anyone over the age of 18 who wants to end their dependence on tobacco.