Gastrointestinal Oncology Program
Focus on Gastrointestinal Oncology
Cancer patients in rural regions often travel long distances for cancer care. Because of this some—especially those needing daily radiation treatments—go without treatment. We’re making it easier for patients to get high-tech cancer care close to home.
Our program is made up of specialists from a variety of medical disciplines who work together to:
- Provide an expert diagnosis
- Develop the very best treatment plan
- Deliver a range of medical and supportive services focused on the individual and family, not just the disease
In addition to our expert gastrointestinal oncology team, a Pancreatic Cancer Clinic and a Liver Tumor Clinic offer specialized integrated care, research protocols, and supportive services for patients.
Part of a nationally recognized cancer research and treatment center, the Gastrointestinal Oncology Program is made up of cancer specialists and scientists, so we can offer patients options based on the latest cancer research and new approaches to treatment.
We are committed to:
- Delivering the highest-quality, scientific cancer treatment
- Caring for and about the individual and family
- Eliminating the disease and suffering of gastrointestinal cancers through innovative research and clinical trials conducted according to the highest ethical standards
- Our interdisciplinary team of experts: Highly trained specialists, focused on gastrointestinal cancers as well as GIST (gastrointestinal stromal tumor), provide diagnosis and treatment. Patient cases are presented and discussed weekly in a disease-specific interdisciplinary tumor board, to determine the best treatment plan and ensure coordinated care.
- Specialized Liver Tumor Clinic: Our Liver Tumor Clinic provides individual appointments coordinated on a single day with our liver tumor specialists.
- Specialized Pancreatic Cancer Clinic: Our Pancreatic Cancer Clinic provides individual appointments coordinated on a single day with our pancreatic cancer specialists.
- Clinical trials and research: Our doctors and scientists are making new discoveries about the biology of gastrointestinal cancers, and developing novel prevention strategies and treatments through clinical trials.
- Patient- and family-centered care: Our team includes a dedicated social worker, and we offer a range of education and services such as nutrition and palliative care to enhance comfort and quality of life from the moment of diagnosis through all phases of treatment.
- Screening and prevention: Our program includes experts in preventing colorectal cancer, who also lead the New Hampshire Colorectal Cancer Screening Program (NHCRCSP).