For some cancers radiation therapy is the first line of defense and for other types it is used in support of surgery, chemotherapy, or other treatments.
While the general technique—eliminating tumors with focused energy—is not new, radiation oncologists, medical physicists, and scientists are combining a number of modern technologies for producing significant breakthroughs in radiation therapy. New advancements in imaging and beam shaping have lead to improved targeting while reducing side effects.
Our comprehensive services include:
- Advanced radiosurgery with Trilogy™
- Image-guided radiation therapy
- Stereotactic body radiation therapy
- Hypofractionated radiation therapy
- Intraoperative radiation therapy
- Brachytherapy (internal therapy), including microsphere, prostate seed implant, high dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy, low dose rate (LDR) brachytherapy, and intracavity brachytherapy
- Access to clinical trials of new treatments
- Partial breast radiation therapy for early stage breast cancer
- Prostate cancer treatment
- Outpatient stereotactic radiosurgery
In pursuing our mission we can meet the needs of our patients by offering a broad spectrum of treatment options in one setting here at DHMC. In some cases we can offer different modalities or a combination of two or more to provide the best outcome for our patients.
Radiation Oncology Mission Statement
Our mission is to provide expert and compassionate clinical care, to discover new ways to improve the clinical outcome of patients with cancer, to increase our understanding of the biology of cancer and to educate the next generation of experts and leaders in radiation oncology. This involves:
- Creating an atmosphere that promotes the practice, learning, and teaching of the clinical, intellectual, and ethical aspects of radiation oncology and to share that knowledge with trainees, patients, and colleagues within and outside of the Dartmouth-Hitchcock community.
- Developing and maintaining a meaningful and productive workplace that provides for staff satisfaction, professional development, and personal growth.
- Working together to deserve the trust of our referring physicians and others we serve. We are committed to serving the needs of regional physicians and patients in the delivery of superior, radiation oncology services and providing consultation at all levels of care.