|Generic Name||Brand Name|
Fludarabine is available as an oral and intravenous (IV) medicine.
How It Works
Fludarabine is an antimetabolite medicine. It causes cell death by interfering with the way genetic material (DNA) in the cell multiplies.
Why It Is Used
How Well It Works
Fludarabine is an effective treatment for chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) that has not responded to other types of chemotherapy, such as chlorambucil or cyclophosphamide. Studies are ongoing to find out the safety and effectiveness of fludarabine in people who have not received other types of chemotherapy or who are responding to other types of chemotherapy.
Side effects are common with fludarabine and can include:
- Severe rapid destruction of red blood cells (hemolytic anemia).
- Decreased platelet counts (thrombocytopenia), which may lead to bleeding in the digestive tract, causing tarry stools.
- Joint pain.
- Blood in urine or stools.
- Blurred vision.
- Chest pain or discomfort.
- Cough, wheezing, hoarseness, or shortness of breath.
- Fever or chills.
- General feeling of discomfort or illness (malaise).
- Mouth sores (stomatitis).
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Painful, burning, or difficult urination.
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia).
- Hair loss (uncommon side effect).
See Drug Reference for a full list of side effects. (Drug Reference is not available in all systems.)
What To Think About
You may not be able to become pregnant or father a child after taking this medicine. Discuss fertility with your doctor before starting treatment.
Fludarabine can cause birth defects. Do not use this medicine if you are pregnant or if you wish to become pregnant or father a child while you are taking it.
Fludarabine can interact with many other medicines. Be sure that your doctor has a complete list of all prescription and nonprescription medicines you are taking.
Do not drink alcoholic beverages or take medicines containing aspirin while being treated with fludarabine, because these can cause bleeding from your stomach.
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.