Robert L. Cowie, MB ChB, FCP(SA), MD, MSc, MFOM - Respiratory Medicine
Dr. Robert L. Cowie reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Cowie, a specialist in respiratory medicine, is a professor at the University of Calgary in the Departments of Medicine and Community Health Sciences. He is a member of the Division of Respiratory Medicine of the University of Calgary and the Calgary Health Region. In addition, Dr. Cowie is director of Tuberculosis Services of the Calgary Health Region and director of the Calgary COPD and Asthma Program. He has also been a staff physician with the Department of Medicine at Foothills Hospital in Calgary since 1990.
His career as a teacher, writer, and researcher makes him a sought-after speaker addressing clinical and research groups throughout North America, South Africa, and Europe.
Dr. Cowie has written numerous scientific research studies and textbooks focusing on asthma, tuberculosis, and occupational lung epidemiology. In 2002, he received the Alberta Lung Association Award of Excellence, a Lorraine Award.
Healthwise Knowledgebase Topics Reviewed
- Respiratory Problems, Age 12 and Older
- Lung Cancer
- Asthma in Children
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Acute Bronchitis
- MB ChB: University of Cape Town, South Africa, 1962
- FCP (SA): College of Medicine of South Africa, 1968
- MSc: Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McGill University, Montreal, QC, 1987
- MD: University of Cape Town, South Africa, 1988
- MFOM: Faculty of Occupational Medicine, Royal College of Physicians, London, England, 1988
- Professor of Medicine, Division of Respiratory Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, 1995–present.
- Professor, Department of Community Health Sciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB 1995–present.
- Head, Division of Respiratory Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, 1997–2003.
- American Thoracic Society
- British Thoracic Society
- Canadian Thoracic Society
- College of Medicine of South Africa, Fellow of the Faculty of Medicine and Fellow of the Faculty of Community Health
- European Respiratory Society
- International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease
- Royal College of Physicians, Member of the Faculty of Occupational Medicine
- Cowie RL, Sharpe JW (1998). Tuberculosis in immigrants: Interval from arrival in Canada to diagnosis: A five year study in southern Alberta. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 158(5): 599–602.
- Cowie RL, Underwood MF, Little CB, Mitchell I, Spier S, Fort GT (2002). Asthma in adolescents: A randomised controlled trial of an asthma program for adolescents and young adults with severe asthma. Canadian Respiratory Journal, 9(4): 253–259.
- Cowie RL, Underwood MF, Field SK (2004). Inhaled corticosteroid therapy does not control asthma. Canadian Respiratory Journal, 11(8): 555–558.
- Cowie RL, Underwood MF, Field SK (2007). Asthma symptoms do not predict spirometry. Canadian Respiratory Journal, 14(6): 339–342.
- Cowie RL, Field SK, Fanning EA (2007). Nontuberculous mycobacteria. In R Long, E Ellis, eds., Canadian Tuberculosis Standards, 6th ed., pp. 221–236.
Author: Healthwise Staff
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.