Preparing for I-125 Prostate Seed Implant Procedure
Visit for pre-surgery physical examination, consent and instructions.
- The medication, Flomax 0.4mg should be taken after evening meal- bedtime - starting as soon as possible.
- DO NOT take any aspirin-containing drugs, such as Ascription, Ecotrin, Bufferin, Halfprin, for two weeks prior to your implant. Use only plain, over-the-counter Tylenol. If you are unsure whether or not a medication contains aspirin, consult your local Pharmacist.
- DO NOT take the following herbs for two weeks prior to your implant: St. John's Wort, Ginseng, Garlic or Ginkgo Biloba.
- The evening before implant, give yourself a Fleets enema 9:00 pm to thoroughly clean out your lower bowel.
- Arrange for someone else to drive you home from the medical center on the day of your implant. Do not drive for at least 2 days after the implant.
- DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING AFTER MIDNIGHT.
- After the implant, take Decadron 2mg twice daily (example: 8 am and 8 pm) for one week then 2 mg once per day for second week. Side effect could be increased energy and appetite then after the second week, fatigue.
- You will be discharged with a urinary catheter in your bladder. Please read the Discharge Instruction Sheet for further information - catheter remains in place for 48 hours.
- A follow-up CT scan, to verify the final position of the seeds, will take place the same afternoon after your implant and again after seven weeks.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please call Carol Halliday, RN at (603) 650-6600
- Radiation Therapy Services
- The Radiation Oncology Treatment Experience
- Radiation Oncology Technology
- Support Groups / Education
- Clinical Trials
- Other Resources
- Our Team
- More Appointment Information