Writing Peer-Reviewed Biomedical Manuscripts
- Uniform Requirements for Biomedical Manuscripts
A list of common issues associated with manuscript writing, from the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE).
- Authorship and Contributorship Defined by the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE)
Definition of what constitutes authorship uniformly accepted in the United States.
- Norris Cotton Cancer Center Authorship Guidelines
How to write manuscripts
- "How to Write an Effective Discussion," Dean R. Hess, PhD (PDF)
- "How to Write the Methods Section of a Research Paper," by Richard H. Kallet, MSc (PDF)
- "Preparing Manuscripts for Submission to Medical Journals: The Paper Trail," by H. Gilbert Welch, MD, MPH (PDF)
- "Effective Use of Tables and Figures in Abstracts, Presentations, and Papers," by Charles G. Durbin, Jr., MD (PDF)
Online writing resources
- The American Medical Association (AMA) Manual of Style
Dartmouth subscribes to the AMA Manual of Style, containing everything medical and scientific researchers, writers, and editors need to produce well-organized, clear, readable, and authoritative manuscripts.
- Guidelines on Style for Scientific Writing
The elements of scientific style, from specifics of punctuation and abbreviations through to the flow of ideas in the document, as well as how to present data, avoiding common grammatical errors, and citing publications.
- Common Errors in English Usage
List of deviations from the standard use of English as judged by sophisticated users such as professional writers, editors, and teachers.
- Practical Advice for Working Researchers
4researchers is an NIH supported project that disseminates practical information to help you conduct research. Get advice from experienced researchers through their catalog of quick tips, Q&As, and presentations, or sign up for advanced online training courses. Currently, there are more than 1000 articles posted by over 200 contributors.
- Dartmouth Opportunities for Oncology Research (DOOR)
- MD-PhD Program
- Molecular and Cellular Biology Graduate Program
- Program in Experimental and Molecular Medicine
- Training Program for Quantitative Biomedical Sciences
- Training Program in Immunology
- Writing Grants & Manuscripts