Oncology Nutrition Services
How We Can Help
Side effects from cancer treatment as well as symptoms of disease can be difficult to manage and often interfere with eating. You may be experiencing low appetite, taste changes, feeling full, fatigue and energy loss, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty swallowing, weight loss, weight gain, or other nutritional challenges.
The dietitians at Norris Cotton Cancer Center are certified as specialists in oncology nutrition and work directly with other members of your care team supporting patients and care givers in managing symptoms and side effects throughout treatment and in survivorship.
Who We Are
We are licensed and registered dietitians who are Board Certified Specialists in Oncology (CSO) with Master of Science degrees. We are part of an interdisciplinary team working to support patients throughout the continuum of care. We do this through one-on-one patient counseling and by participating in team meetings, specialty tumor boards, patient support groups, community classes, seasonal cooking demonstrations, and other patient events, within the Cancer Center, as well as nationally.
- Jeannine Mills MS, RD, CSO, LD
Gastrointestinal Cancers and Head and Neck Cancer
- Elise Cushman MS, RD, CSO, LD (Lebanon and St. Johnsbury)
Thoracic Cancer, Breast Cancer, Genitourinary Cancer, Gynecologic Cancer, Head and Neck Cancer, Gastrointestinal Cancers, Hematologic Cancers, and Neuro-oncology
- Kacie Merchand MS, RD, CSO, LD
Thoracic Cancer, Breast Cancer, Genitourinary Cancer, Gynecologic Cancer, Head and Neck Cancer, Hematologic Cancer, and Neuro-oncology
- Filomena Kernsey RD, LD
Pediatric Hematology and Oncology
Nutrition Services at Norris Cotton Cancer Center offers many events throughout the year that are free and open to all patients, family members and supporters. Regularly scheduled events include cooking demonstrations and Lunch & Learn classes. To learn more about these classes and demonstrations and when they are taking place, visit the Events Page.
Scheduling an Appointment
To schedule an appointment with Jeannine Mills, Elise Cushman, or Kacie Merchand please call (603) 650-4344. For Filomena Kersey, please call (603) 650-5541. Nutrition services are free of charge for any patient who is receiving treatment at Norris Cotton Cancer Center. The appointment or visit does not require a consult from your treatment team.
Below are a few recommended web sites that may also provide helpful information:
- Oncology Nutrition Dietetic Practice Group: Offers answers to frequently asked questions, tips for nutritional management of symptoms of cancer and side effects of treatment, recipes, and more.
- American Institute for Cancer Research: Provides practical research-based information about the link between diet and cancer prevention and survivorship.
- American Cancer Society
- Office of Dietary Supplements: Provides an overview of vitamins, minerals and other dietary supplements.
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center: About Herbs, Botanicals, and Other Products Database: Provides information on herbs and other supplements.