Breast Surgery Program
Our highly skilled and experienced breast surgeons and nurse practitioner work closely with other specialists and scientists in the Comprehensive Breast Program to offer expert diagnosis and advanced surgical treatments for a full range of conditions from benign breast disease to complex and rare forms of breast cancer.
Conditions We Treat
- As part of an interdisciplinary team of experts that includes pathologists, radiologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, plastic and reconstructive surgeons, physical therapists and genetic specialists, D-H surgical oncologists provide treatment planning and surgical care for the full range of breast cancer diagnoses, including new approaches being studied in clinical trials.
- Our surgeons also are experienced in rare and uncommon breast cancer conditions such as Phyllodes tumors.
- Our experienced nurse practitioners and surgical oncologists also provide diagnosis and treatment of benign breast conditions such as breast pain and infections, and non-cancerous breast lumps.
Treatments and Procedures
- Evaluation and treatment of benign breast conditions.
- Breast biopsies including minimally invasive and image-guided biopsies performed in radiology, and surgical biopsies.
- Standard and advanced breast surgical procedures including lumpectomy, mastectomy, and skin and nipple preserving mastectomy.
- Often, mastectomy and immediate breast reconstruction are performed in a single procedure in collaboration with our plastic and reconstructive surgeons.
- Surgical evaluation the axillary lymph nodes using sentinel lymph node excision and axillary dissection when necessary.
D-H surgical oncologists advance knowledge through local and national research and clinical trials.