To prevent and cure cancer through pioneering interdisciplinary research, to translate new knowledge into better prevention and treatment, and to provide effective and compassionate clinical care that improves the lives of patients with cancer and their families.
We are committed to excellence in our research, dynamic partnerships between our laboratories and clinics, robust outreach and education throughout our region, and outstanding education and training programs for future cancer scientists and clinicians.
Norris Cotton Cancer Center will discover new worlds of cancer medicine, lead efforts to prevent and cure cancer in Northern New England, and contribute to solving the problems of cancer worldwide while providing the highest level of safe, innovative, compassionate care for patients with cancer.
Norris Cotton Cancer Center is using the following strategies to achieve our mission and vision.
Goal 1: Advance cancer-related science and discovery, and ensure systems that deliver the highest quality of translational and clinical research.
- Embrace collaboration
- Develop translational cancer research
- Create an optimal environment for clinical cancer research
- Achieve synergy with other major academic initiatives at Dartmouth
Goal 2: Establish systems to ensure outstanding, patient-centered oncology care and innovation, from prevention and treatment to palliation and survivorship.
- Empower our clinical leadership and improve management performance
- Seek institutional collaboration in addressing challenges
- Create administrative structures to enhance patient care
Goal 3: Improve and enrich regional cancer care delivery systems in Northern New England.
- Establish new models for regional cancer care
- Implement a broad-based marketing strategy
Goal 4: Promote cancer prevention, education, and awareness.
- Lead cancer prevention efforts at the community, state, and regional levels
- Establish an Office of Community Education and Prevention
- Support cancer prevention research to implement interventions already known to be effective
- Encourage outcomes research to understand better the impact of specific prevention efforts
- Lead efforts to develop prevention initiatives key to the implementation of the State Comprehensive Cancer Control Plan
About our logo
We're often asked what the Norris Cotton Cancer Center logo "means." Based originally on the Dartmouth-Hitchcock logo, our mark consists of four up sweeping lines surrounded by a circle. The four lines, in the shape of a mountain, represent the four pillars of our institution—research, patient care, education, and community partnership. The circle suggests the sun, light, and hope, and refers to the circular nature of cancer research and treatment. We chose the color orange for its associations with warmth, energy, and strength. Our logo encompasses and expresses the mission and vision of Norris Cotton Cancer Center.