Patient cases are presented and discussed in an interdisciplinary tumor board which is designed to determine the best treatment plan and ensure coordinated care for each of our patients. We have separate interdisciplinary tumor boards for:
- Brain and nervous system cancers
- Pituitary tumors
- Spine cancers, coordinated with the Spine Center at DHMC
Highly trained specialists focused on brain and nervous system cancers review your results and information to provide diagnosis and treatment. Our team includes experts in neurosurgery, radiation oncology, medical neuro-oncology, neuropathology, and neuroradiology. We also offer services in neuro-endocrinology, neuro-ophthalmology, and epilepsy, as well as neuropsychological evaluation and cognitive rehabilitation.
What is a tumor board?
A tumor board is a treatment planning approach in which a number of doctors who are experts in different specialties (disciplines) review and discuss the medical condition and treatment options of a patient. In cancer treatment, a tumor board review may include that of a:
- Medical oncologist (who provides cancer treatment with drugs)
- Surgical oncologist (who provides cancer treatment with surgery)
- Radiation oncologist (who provides cancer treatment with radiation)
A tumor board is also called a multidisciplinary opinion.
(From the National Cancer Institute's Dictionary of Cancer Terms)