The Tobacco Treatment Program helps patients, family members, and friends quit tobacco (including vapes).
Quitting tobacco has many benefits for people with cancer:
- Longer life and better quality of life
- Better chance of surviving cancer Lower risk of cancer coming back after treatment
- Lower risk of developing a new cancer
- Better effectiveness of chemotherapy medications
- Fewer and less severe side effects from cancer treatment
- Lower risk of heart disease and other health problems
- Easier breathing and more energy
Continued tobacco use can worsen side effects from cancer treatment.
- Chemotherapy: infection, fatigue, heart and lung problems, and weight loss
- Radiation therapy: mouth sores, loss of taste, and worse voice quality
- Surgery: infection, lower wound healing and recovery, and heart and lung problems
Visit the Tobacco Treatment Program to learn about tobacco treatment help for yourself or someone else.