Going through cancer treatment can be difficult. We offer many services to support your physical and emotional well-being and that of your care partners and loved ones throughout your treatment and long into survivorship
On this page:
Complementary Care Program
Our Complementary Care Program offers a range of supportive care including:
- Chair massage
- Creative arts, including creative writing, music and visual arts
- Gentle chair yoga
- Healthy cooking demonstrations
- Therapeutic harp
Through the generosity of community fundraising and philanthropic support, all offerings are free for patients and care partners. Most are available virtually from the comfort of your home.
The Hand to Heart Project
The Hand to Heart Project provides free in-home massage and compassionate touch for people with cancer and their caregivers.
We partner with the Amanda Thomas Boutique to provide fittings for mastectomy bras, prostheses and wigs. The boutique has locations in Merrimack and Lebanon. They also make visits to clinic sites.
The boutique staff:
- Are certified mastectomy fitters through the American Board of Certification in Orthotics and Prosthetics
- Provide fittings for post-surgical compression garments to help with swelling and lymphedema.
The boutique is a Medicare-accredited facility and contracts with most major insurance companies. Call boutique staff for more information or to make an appointment.
The oncology chaplain works with patients and families from many different faith traditions, spiritualties and life journeys.
Oncology social work
Oncology-specialized social workers in the Office of Care Management:
- Are available to identify any potential barriers or concerns you may have during treatment
- Help you navigate available resources
- Provide emotional support and counseling to you and your family members during treatment
Palliative Care Program
Providers in the Palliative Care Program address you as a whole person, including your physical comfort, emotional well-being and spirituality. We help you approach your diagnosis and treatment goals with confidence and dignity.
Because your loved ones are also involved in your care, the palliative care team also supports and includes them. Since no two people are alike, palliative care works with you, your loved ones and your clinicians.
Tobacco Treatment Program
The Dartmouth Health Tobacco Treatment Program can help you, your family members or friends quit tobacco (including vapes). Quitting tobacco has many benefits for people with cancer. Continued tobacco use can worsen side effects from cancer treatment.
Wig and cold cap resources
View the following resources for wigs and cold caps:
- Amanda Thomas Women’s Boutique provides resources for wigs and mastectomies, including hair loss, breast surgery and lymphedema solutions.
- Arctic Cold Caps provides scalp cooling caps that may minimize hair loss.
- Chemo Cold Caps provides cold cap therapy using a cold cap system which may minimize damage to the hair follicles and hair loss.
- HairToStay.org is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping cancer patients afford scalp cooling. You may apply for a subsidy through their website.
- Penguin Cold Caps provides a portable cold capping kit and a personalized therapy schedule.
- CancerCare: Support, stories of hope and resources for patients, survivors, caregivers and healthcare professionals
- Cancer.net: Information from the American Society of Clinical Oncology that can help people with breast cancer and their loved ones understand all levels of their diagnosis and care
- ConnectShareCare: An online peer-to-peer network that supports relatives, partners, friends and neighbors caring for individuals with serious illnesses
- National Breast Cancer Coalition: Focused on eliminating breast cancer through advocacy and action
- The National Cancer Institute: A wealth of information on prevention, screening and treatment of breast cancer
- New Hampshire Breast Cancer Coalition: A grassroots organization that advocates for and provides assistance to New Hampshire residents with breast cancer
- Susan B. Komen Foundation: Research, community health outreach, advocacy and programs to end breast cancer around the world
- Women's Health Resource Center at Dartmouth Health: Information, advocacy and support about health issues. A publicly available lending library includes books, DVDs and more about breast health and disease.